Tuesday, September 18, 2007

Tuk-tuk style.

Though there are a few ancient taxicabs plying the streets of Vientiane, the main method of public transport is in little vehicles called tuk-tuks. A bit different than the tuk-tuks in Bangkok, the Lao models are a little like pickup truck beds fitted with benches and attached to the back of a motorbike. What I like most about them is the elaborate decorations they sport. They're usually painted in metallic green or blue, and tattooed with stickers, many of which advertise a Western-commodified masculinity. They feature tigers, lions, and wolves, Marlboro men and Rambo like gunmen.

1 comment:

sulu-design said...

Thanks for the kind words about my apartment over at Design Sponge. I'm glad that the comment you posted brought me here. You've got great photos - I love the tuk tuk spread!