Thursday, September 27, 2007

Africa Abstracted.

In writing my recent entry about finding inspiration in giraffes, I thought back to some of my own wildlife photographs. On my last trip to the lands north of the Limpopo, I focused less on capturing the movement or interaction of animals, and more on the forms and patterns created in nature. Through taking photos with slightly polarized light and dark spaces, I tried to contrast animal forms with areas of abstraction. In the above photograph, which was taken in Mosi oa Tunya National Park in Zambia, I was drawn to the strange abstract space around the giraffe created by the thicket of branches and dry leaves. While this might not be the type of thrilling wildlife photography featured in National Geographic, I hope these images captured some of the odd visual appeal of the African bush.

Chobe, Botswana

Chobe, Botswana

Mosi Oa Tunya National Park, Zambia

1 comment:

Jen Laceda | Milk Guides said...

I love these images....the texture especially -- the juxtaposition of skin and surroundings.